Mobile marketing is the biggest ongoing phenomena in Digital Marketing which has gained its deserved momentum in the recent times. Digital marketers focus on Mobile Marketing has been growing by the day, and not only the biggies but also SME’s are spending generously on it.
But, the big question is – “How important is Mobile Marketing for your Company”?
To answer this question lets drill down a little bit on stats –
- 42% of the world’s population has access to Internet in Jan, 2015
- Mobile traffic on ‘Google’ and ‘Bing’ surpassed Desktop traffic in November 2014 and is ever growing.
- Combined, mobile phones and tablets now account for 38% of all web pages served around the world and with a straight 13% decline traffic from Laptops & Desktops dropped to 62%
- The current year-on-year growth of Unique Mobile users worldwide is at 5%
- There are at least 1.65 billion active Mobile Social accounts with more than 100 million new monthly active users of instant messaging services like – WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook Messenger & Viber in the past 12 months
- Search engines have and are being coming up with new algorithms & crawlers for Mobiles. Google has been and is rolling out new algorithms, changes in apps, presentation of Mobile SERP’s and a new crawler that would affect the ranking of websites that are not mobile friendly on mobile SERP’s.
- India’s web traffic is dominated by mobile devices with a penetration of 72% from Mobiles, 1% from Tablets and Only 29% from Laptops & Desktops as in Jan, 2015.
- Ecommerce are drawing more than 50% of traffic and sales through Mobile devices & Apps. The biggest proof being, Myntra (an online fashion retailer) taking a bold step of shutting down their website and going Mobile App only retailer.
The exponential growth of Smartphones and Data access has made it easier than ever before for people to get closer to businesses. And, the good news is that the potential for faster mobile internet access has grown exponentially in the past year, with 39% of all global mobile connections now classified as ‘broadband’ (i.e. 3G or 4G)
So now, the answer to the question should be quite simple for you? ‘Yes’, mobile marketing is a crucial element for a company’s digital marketing strategy, who wants to stay ahead of it’s competition and tap in every single target audience out there.
But, before you go ahead & devise a mobile marketing strategy for your company, understand your user’s behavior on Mobile?
Use analytics to understand how your target audiences are using Mobile & Tablets. Are they transacting or using it for gathering information? What kind of devices and operating systems are being used? Bounce Rate? Average Time spent? What are the Landing & Exit pages from mobile or tablet devices?
Then translate this data to devise a good mobile marketing strategy, but while doing that you need to really know what is important and think about the touch-points your customers have with your business and decide –
- Do you need a Mobile App or a Responsive Website? If you are thinking about getting an App, then think on these lines –
- What is the Companies Brand perception among customers?
- Is my company into consumer products or services?
- What is the value add your app would provide that your responsive site won’t?
- How much to Spend on Mobile Ads (Search &/ Display)? Do you want simple image ads or use more engaging rich media display ads, video app ads, or call-only ads? Always use responsive lead capture pages to gain maximum out of it.
- Do you want to get better clicks from your e-mailers? Use Responsive e-mailers.
- Do you want to give your customers a consistent brand experience across all relevant mediums? Use responsive web design.
- Do you want to reach your customers at the right times when they’re in the right locations or near your store? Use GPS monitoring & Geo-fencing.
- Do you want to interact with your customers in new and interesting ways? Use QR codes.
Mobile marketing works and it’s out there making your competitors’ campaigns more efficient. By effectively integrating with your current digital marketing strategies, mobile marketing can increase engagement, boost conversions and enhance overall results.
Source of Data Points: IAMAI, we are social, SimilarWeb & other online sources. The article was originally published here.