Before I start with it let me ask a simple question – What is every digital marketer’s objective with their Facebook Brand page?
Answer to it would be, reaching the right audience and increasing engagement with them.
Well, by this time you must have guessed it that this new feature Facebook Audience Optimization helps doing just that. Facebook defines it as
“Audience Optimization is an organic targeting tool to help publishers reach and engage their audience on Facebook and better understand the interests of people clicking on their posts.”
It is an organic targeting tool to help publishers reach and engage their audience on Facebook and better understand the interests of people clicking on their posts.
Though this feature is not available for all for now, it would be switched on automatically for larger pages (fans above 5000) and be made available for other later. You can also have a look at the official Facebook ‘How It Works’ guide to know more about Audience Optimisation.
Audience Optimization has 3 features in it –
- Preferred Audience
- Audience Restriction
- Audience Insights
How can a marketer make use of these?
1. Preferred Audience will help improve the visibility of your posts to the right audience with addition of interest tags that that will help determine people who would be enjoying these posts the most.
2. Think of Audience Optimization as defining your best audience you want to reach and engage with.
3. Use both broad and narrow interests that would relate your audience and posts.
4. Use interests like – people, place, brands, organizations, etc. that your audience might like or would be relevant to you. For example – Use your competitors brand as interest to show your products and services to your competitor’s audience (customers).
5. Use specific interests that your audience might like, even though you might not mention it in the post.
6. You can think of related interests if specific interests are not available.
7. Use Locations tags reach audience of geography.
8. Use Audience Restriction to limit the visibility of your content to specific demographics. This feature can come in handy to reduce negative comments. For example – You might be posting something that might lead to lot of negative comments by a group of users or be offensive to a particular age group with this feature you can just exclude that segment or at least reduce the negative impact to a large extent.
9. Audience Insights will give you insights about how users are responding to your posts with interest tags.
All in all, Facebook’s Audience Optimization feature is going to come a lot in handy for marketers who use it right to reach the right audience and increase engagement. Do try using this for your brand’s advantage. If there are any specific queries or thoughts about the use of this feature, then do mention the same in the comments below.